Monday, February 27, 2006

How am I doing this...Why am I doing this?

A Bird’s Eye View

The most important thing about this training and this dieting is very carefully monitoring EVERY single little detail. I get measured every 2 weeks with a 7-point skin fold calipers to see where I am losing the weight and to guarantee that I am losing fat and not muscle. I am actually getting measured every week for the next little bit here. I looked back over my measurements today to really analyze them. I finally lost fat in my hips and butt last week. GOOD DEAL – It is about damn time – please excuse my language. I had not lost any significant amount of fat from my thighs since January 13th. It had been coming off of my upper body mainly. Maybe it will keep coming off of my thighs…I can only hope. I have gained a little over 3 lbs of muscle since I started my program at the end of November. I’ve learned that my weight goes up and down by a pound or more depending on the day. I retain and let go of water like mad. My body doesn’t lose weight very quickly – I lost 2.5 lbs one week which was huge but I think some of that was water weight because I got my period shortly there after (shhhhhh, we’ll just pretend it was fat though! ☺) Tosha and Neil can attest to my extreme bloating - one day this summer I bought a pair of pants and then next day I couldn't get the button within like 2.5 inches of the button hole!

Training for a show is a long and arduous process that requires a tremendous amount of dedication, will power and self-control. It is a self-absorbing journey that requires a great deal of sacrifice and preparation. Once the journey is complete I can almost guarantee that I will have learned more about myself and my body than most people will learn in a lifetime. This will enable me to maintain the healthy eating habits that are the basis of a competition diet for the remainder of my life. (Just not as strict) :)

Yes it is restrictive at times, however the amount of calories I am taking in are all highly nutritious food sources, I am not taking in any "junk" or "wasted" calories. The supplements I am taking in such as the flax oil, Alpha Omegas, Ultra 40's and Mass Aminos are providing me with extremely high Biological Value nutrients. These supplements are designed to assist my body in losing body fat while MAINTAINING LEAN MASS, they are a supplement to my meals not meal replacements. The supplements also add approximately 200-300 extra calories to my diet on a daily basis. On my carb nights my caloric intake is approximately 1600-1700 calories per day. My goal is not to lose lean mass. If I started to lose more than 3-4 pounds of lean mass my trainers and I would adjust my nutrition and training accordingly. I’m willing to give up just a little lean mass right now because I want to lean out and check my symmetry and try to get a glimpse at the muscle structure underneath my fat. Then I will have a couple months to try and improve on the areas that really need it.

I am working with trainers that have years of experience in dieting for shows, supplementation, bodybuilding, and figure competitions. David alone has been training clients for over 12 years. They have trained clients for bodybuilding, figure, triathlons, marathons and numerous other competitive sports. They have made it clear to me that nutrition is the key to optimum results and performance. They have worked closely with Nutritionists and RD's regarding proper nutritional intake especially for the purpose of preparing for a competition. They know what works and what doesn't work. Eating is the foundation of preparing for a show, not avoidance of eating or poor nutritional intake.

So far this has been a completely positive and enjoyable experience. Regardless of all the science and reasons for everything and why it works, I think the MOST important indicator of health is how I feel. Right now I feel wonderful and better than I have in months. My period came on time and on cycle this month – this has not occurred for the last couple YEARS. I received compliments that I was 'glowing' on Saturday and I feel like I'm glowing! A lot of the redness has gone out of my complexion and my face is really clearing up. I have energy and I am lifting heavier weights every week. I think I could even lift heavier but I don’t have a spotter – hurry up and move her little sister! I need you!!

Now, during the last 4 weeks before the competition I will become more depleted. This is designed for me to look my best on stage, not for me to be healthy. Competitors are usually at their weakest come the day of the show, however, they look so strong and healthy. Leading up to the last 4 weeks I will probably be more healthy than I’ve ever been.

Post competition is one of the things you hear horror stories about. Many people stop seeing their trainers and have a horrible time adjusting to ‘normal’ eating again. David and Nicole have said that we will put together a plan for post competition before the competition even gets here. Just like we will gradually deplete my body for the stage appearance, we will gradually bring it back to normal, healthy levels. This will help to avoid some of the water retention and miserable side effects of eating whatever, whenever you want. (However, I do plan on eating chocolate immediately after the competition!!!) The first day I met with David and Nicole back in November they told me to start mentally preparing for post competition as well. I cannot live at the body fat I will be at on stage – I will most likely feel ‘fat’ when I go back to a normally, healthy body fat percentage. Mentally, I need to prepare for this.

The hardest thing about competing so far (besides growing my hair out) is staying focused on myself and not worrying about what other people think. Had I decided to do a marathon I would be getting support from every direction – in reality marathons can be much harder on your body. However, because this is what I have chosen to do is such a "selfish" sport and very few people understand it, I am learning to be selfish in order to be successful and focused. I will be prepared to compete come show time. I am going to be lean and mean on stage. This is my dream and I know that I can do this. I have never been considered athletic or coordinated. I was the statistician in high school and was never chosen to be on people’s teams…well, now I am going to be buff, healthy, and strong. I know I can do a good job at this. Will I win this year, probably not. I plan on ‘bulking’ and putting on more muscle after the competitions this year. I think my upper body will need more muscle mass in order to really be competitive. That will be another exciting journey for the future!

Bottom line right now is: I’m never hungry, I feel satisfied, and I have energy – I must be doing something right!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love you little wife and can't believe how incredible you're doing!

Keep it up your looking sexier every day! Too bad your stuck with an oaf like me ;)

KatieFeldmom said...

This is a great post. It answered lots of questions for me. I really appreciate it.

Quick Question for you: How did you meet David and Nicole? What are their roles? Do you pay them?

And if you don't want to answer these questions, I totally understand. I'm probably being nosy, so you can totally ignore me if you want.

buffdiva said...

Hi Katiefeldmom!
David and Nicole are my trainers. They own a private gym/studio called Athletic FX in Osseo MN. I found them because Nicole won the last figure competition I went to and David won the Masters division bodybuilding. I hunted them down online because they had the look I was going for. I go to see them every two weeks or once a week depending on what is going on in my program. I usually do a workout with them and they watch/correct my form, etc. They give me all of my workouts, food, supplement direction...everything. Trainers around here are between $65-$105 an hour...I pay toward the lower end of that. I heard in other places around the US trainers are like $30 an hour, that would be sooooo nice. They have been worth every penny though. I email them many times a week with questions. they are really good at giving me support and advice on all aspects of the training.

KatieFeldmom said...

Thanks for the info! I need to do a search and find out what a fitness comp actually is...how it is different from other stuff.

Anonymous said...

the friend at work said...

Rock on, Tan! It's ok to do this for yourself and it's not important that everyone understand your motives or choices for everything you do in life. If people have genuine concern for your well-being, they should bring them to you directly and honstly.

As someone who HATES to diet, HATES to exercise and would rather have a root canal than wear a bathing suit in front of people on stage... I can't begin to understand why you are doing this or what you hope to reap from this experience mentally, physically and spiritually...

but that's the key, isn't it?

I don't HAVE to understand to swing my pom-poms around and tell you that I love you and I'm proud of you...